*Note Woodstove, Woodburner, Logburner and Woodheater are terms used in different countries or regions to mean the same thing.
How does the retrofit work?
The IntensiFire fits inside your woodburner and changes the way it burns wood. Similar to syngas technology, or the way a car can run on woodgas, it breaks wood down into simple combustible gases that are then fully consumed by the super hot secondary fire.
Complete combustion means less wasted heat up your flue, a lot less! The heat goes into your room instead and is like putting in a larger model woodburner.
This downdraft style of combustion is now seen in the all the new Ultra Low Emission Burners (ULEB) in New Zealand. This 2015 ULEB test is the toughest emissions to pass in the world because it includes start up, then wet wood, hardwood and softwood phases.
The IntensiFire is particularly useful for stoves that were not originally designed with secondary combustion, but even a lot of modern stoves will benefit from an increase in efficiency and emissions.
Will it fit my stove?
The IntensiFire can be made to fit almost all stoves.
The ease of installation will do so depends on your stove. A stove with a top exit 6” or 150mm flue is generally straight forward. Other types may need a bit more work. I am still learning the makes and models, particular those outside of New Zealand so send me some photos if you have any doubts. See the graphic at the bottom of this web page to help guide you.
What does it cost?
The kit sells for $499NZD plus shipping.
Shipping is free within New Zealand, approx $60 to Australia, and $120 to everwhere else.
There may be some local adaption required depending on your model. Generally these modifications only cost a few hundred dollars.
Whatever the cost it is worth it, new stoves with technology this good sell for $5000+
Where does it fit?
The IntensiFire assembly fits inside your fire and connects to the flue.
That looks like it takes up a lot of room in the fire?
Some customers worry about a loss of volume in their fire but this usually isn’t the case as you gain height inside when the combustion plate is taken out. You can also more fully utilize the space available
No matter what you will still get an increase in output
How much it improve my fire?
This all depends on the design and condition of your original stove. 50% would be typical for an older woodstove.
An older stove in poor condition could be improved by 100%. An older model in good condition around 60% gain, and 20% for the average new updraft model.
For emissions the IntensiFire will make a dramatic difference.
Will it burn overnight?
The IntensiFire has shown a 10% longer burn time in a laboratory calorimeter. The same test also showed a 35% increase in overall output and 45% gain in efficiency.
A good thing about the IntensiFire is that the more wood you can squeeze in the firebox the better it will go.
Damping a fire is unwise though as it will result in appalling efficiency and emissions. A fire has to be hot to burn clean and none burn hotter than The IntensiFire. Damping causes smoke, which is dangerous to your health and is wasted energy.
How clean is it?
There is emissions data showing it can burn cleaner than natural gas, or the exhaust gas was safe enough to breathe. That doesn’t represent the whole burn cycle, but it is the cleanest combustion technology on the planet.
The IntensiFire doesn’t use any catalyst or other consumable material to work, it is simply a change of combustion dynamic that creates an intense heat that burns up all the difficult to combust carbon monoxide (CO). CO levels rise below 750°C, and if your firebox was at that temperature it would be glowing red! The IntensiFire tube does get that hot though, check the second image on the home page rotating banner.
This complete combustion means more heat into your room.
What do I get?
The IntensiFire burns so hot that inferior materials won’t withstand the heat. It has to be made from the best quality materials available. There is a mix of custom designed refractory components, and high quality 400 series stainless steel.
How long will it last.
There is a five year warranty on parts. The stainless steel should last 10-20 years, the ceramics a bit less.